This is truly one of the creepiest "haunted sites" in the area. It is situated on top of a hill off of Bath Road and is part of the Hampton Hills park owned and maintained by the Akron Metroparks.  It is comprised of a farmhouse, outbuilding and barn.

While stories about this place vary, what most have in common is the appearance of a black, shadowy figure that menaces persons who venture in or around the property.

According to legend, this property was once owned by a farmer and his family, who were brutally murdered by a satanic cult.  Another variation of the story has the farmer murdering his wife and two children.  The farmer then hung himself in the barn.  Some elements of this story overlap with the Legend of the Seven Barns. 

Research of the chain of title and backgrounds of prior land owners cannot confirm this story.   The property was donated to the park in 1967 by Rhea H. and E. Reginald Adam.  Prior to that time, it was owned by Emma L. Martin, and before then, J. Hart. Prior to the 1870's, little is known about the property. According to the Metroparks official website, the buildings were constructed around 1830-1850.

It is also believed that the hill is actually part of a Native American burial mound, which is certainly not surprising in this area.  In fact, some believe that the Black Figure is not the ghost of the murderous farmer at all, but that of a Native American wraith who guards the place and chases off others who do not belong there.  A wendigo, of Native American folklore.

The house is also believed to be a secret meeting place for a "satanic cult." <whatever that means>  However, it is highly unlikely that any real satanic activity occurs here. Despite the historical significance of this land, the park has not opened the house and buildings to the public since it was donated by the Adams Family (no pun intended).  Sadly, no restoration or preservation has been done to this landmark, and the buildings have remained vacant, away from public viewing, for almost forty years.  Probably for this reason, it has become an attraction for bored kids and thrill seekers.

Below are some shots taken of the exterior of the house:

 

Sadly, efforts to find a convenient, loose opening to the inside proved futile, as prior weak spots were recently sealed and tightly boarded up.

 

 

A shot of one of the upper floors.  Interestingly, the top left window was the only one found to be uncovered.

 

 

 

 

 

To the left and below, this is believed to be a smokehouse.

 

 

 

Below, the barn

 

 

A side shot of the barn.  Despite a recent paint job, the barn showed evidence of extensive wear.

 

A view of the barn from the back, among the wild overgrowth that surrounds the entire farm.
While most of the barn was locked, we were able to find an opening in the barn's basement.  To the left and below are shots of the basement.  While the story of the farmer who killed himself here is intriguing, as these photos show, the inside is less than remarkable.  A more appropriate title of this place would be ...

THE KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS. 

 

 

 

 

UPDATE:

Sometime in early 2003, the house and outbuilding were demolished.  The barn is still standing, and was even re-sided, looking much better than it did in Spring 2002 when the original pictures were taken.

Below are some pictures of how the site appears today.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


For stories submitted by other readers, check out the Top O' the World section of the Submissions page.

For some great photos of the inside of the house, check out Ohio Trespassers' Top O' the World page.

Top O' the World haunted