friend of Dead Ohio suggested this cemetery, which can be spotted by
careful commuters traveling the Route 77-Route 480 junction in
Independence. The cemetery is located behind Chi-Chi's Restaurant,
next to the Realty One campus.
Yes, that's the Cleveland Clinic
office complex in the background.
Missed it too, huh?
turns out, this cemetery has quite an interesting history.
It is part of the West Family Plot and the land surrounding it
was once part of the prominent West Family Farm. The
earliest burial dates back to 1820. Incredibly, at least
15 persons are buried here. However, only four markers
strongly suggest that the remaining headstones (or parts
thereof) lie somewhere in the ravine or within the overgrowth
behind the cemetery. Some man-made stones and blocks were
found around the parameter of the plot, although we cannot say
whether those stones were once part of a building or tombstone.
Tombstones of Thomas West (left), who is believed to have
died in 1860, and his widow, Susan, who passed in 1872.