Built in 1901 to honor Jeptha Wade, Wade Chapel is a treasure--in the
literal sense of the word. The Chapel's interior-- including the
doors, floor tiles, benches, wall mosaics, chandeliers, lamps and ceiling--was
designed entirely by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Of course, it also contains a
Tiffany stained-glass window.
The 7 by 9 foot Tiffany window.
The wall surrounding the window was intentionally
included in the picture to demonstrate the workmanship of even something
mundane as a wall.
The gold glass tiles are meticulously arranged in a pattern of several
thousand small, arched crosses.
A shot of the interior right wall mural. The
mural is comprised entirely of stained glass tiles. A similar
mural can be found on the left interior wall. Although the
illustrations appear Egyptian-themed, both murals describe and symbolize
the laws of the Old Testament and the Prophets. Some masonic
symbols were thrown in for good measure.
A view of the left interior wall mural.
Although not legible from this photo, the shields on the boat each
contain letters spelling out the name of a different biblical Prophet.
A view from behind the altar, facing the right.
The marble bench is inlaid with gold stained-glass tiles. The
chandelier and candle-like lamps were also designed by Tiffany.
These benches were carved from Lebanese cedar and
inlaid with a mosaic of glass tiles. As nice as they look, they are
as uncomfortable as any other church pew.